Subject Leader: Miss Evans
At Harlesden Primary School we believe that mathematics equips pupils with a uniquely, powerful set of tools, through developing an ability to calculate, reason and solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and patterns in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, they also learn to appreciate the contribution made by many people to the development and application of mathematics.
At Harlesden we aim to give children exciting and engaging lessons that enable them to develop 'can do' attitude and perceive themselves as Mathematicians. We achieve this by giving children problem solving opportunities, practical activities, mental maths and cross-curricular Maths. Collaboration and a growth mindset are outcomes we pursue through our personalised learning approach; helping and preparing children for Maths in the real world.
- To develop a growth mind-set about ability to learn mathematics.
- To develop a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of how fascinating elements of mathematics can be.
- To be competence and confidence with numbers and the number system and other mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills.
- To develop problem solvers, who can reason, think logically, work systematically and apply their knowledge of mathematics.
- To develop the ability to communicate using mathematical language.
- To develop working both independently and with others.